May 21, 2012

She's Growing Up

My little sister graduated from college last weekend. Yeah, that's right. From college.

It seems like only yesterday that I was the one graduating from the Fulbright College at the University of Arkansas. Going back for Marinna's graduation was a bittersweet reminder of where I myself was, only two short years ago. A young girl, ready for what life had yet to offer me.

As we sat in the large arena awaiting our graduates, I was able to reflect on my life since graduation, and I tried to imagine where my sister would soon be - what her own life had yet to open up to. My two years post-graduation have held so many wonderful things: a grown-up job, my own dog, a perfect proposal and a move into a house with the man that I love.



Marinna has so much ahead of her. She's smart, gorgeous, fun and funny. I was so proud to see her walk across that stage to accept her diploma. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English and in Spanish. She got English departmental honors, was named a Fulbright College Senior Scholar and graduated Magna Cum Laude.


Next year, she's planning on attending grad school up in Fayetteville. It's a year-long program that I'm sure she'll excel in. And after THAT graduation, she wants to be a teacher. She's wanted to be a teacher since she was a little girl, and she'd be pretty darn good at it.

I'm tellin' you. She's a catch.


Baby sister, I'm so proud of you. You are freaking amazing and I cannot wait to see what the next two years bring for you. We love you so so much!



No comments: