Jun 3, 2011

To Die For Cake

A few weeks ago, John made a to die for cake for his friend's dinner party. And when I say to die for, I mean TO. DIE. FOR. I practically licked my plate at a dinner party, it was so good. So for Mother's Day, we decided it would be the perfect treat for my momma. 

Sidenote: I realize Mother's Day was quite some time ago. Don't judge.

Anyway, the cake is a Tres Leches cake. Tres Leche means 3 milks, so that's what this cake has inside. Here's the recipe (with random photos of my process clunked at the end because Blogger is being stupid and won't let me attach to the appropriate step). 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 5 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream
  • strawberries, sliced

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
  2. Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until light in color and doubled in volume. Stir in milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder.
  3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until firm but not dry. Fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes.
  5. Loosen edge of cake with knife before removing side of pan. Cool cake completely; place on a deep serving plate. Use a two prong meat fork or cake tester to pierce surface of cake.
  6. Mix together condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of the whipping cream. Discard 1 cup of the measured milk mixture or cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining milk mixture over cake slowly until absorbed. Whip the remaining whipping cream until it thickens and reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake with whipped cream and garnish with strawberries.


The beginnings of the whipped cream step.
It's so cool how whipping cream turns fluffy after putting it in the mixer! Love it.


Yes. These strawberries are sliced to perfection!

The whipped cream once it had formed soft peaks and was ready to be put on the cake! 
Our beautiful finished product!

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "MAN! Kati used to be so good at making cakes - what is this piece of crap? She didn't even smooth the edges and the cake is lopsided!"

And if you weren't thinking that, then please visit my old blog, katiscakeproject.blogspot.com.

Here's my defense against this cake:
First off, John made the cake so it's his fault it's lopsided! (Love you, babe!)
Secondly, I wanted the icing to look like that!
And third, I stopped making cakes so back off. 

Sidenote: I wish they had a sarcasm font because I'd totally put my three reasons in them. In other words, I'm being sarcastic.

In all reality, it was such a fun relief to make a cake and not have anyone expecting perfection. I got to make a sloppy cake that was to die for (TO. DIE. FOR.) and everyone had fun. 

Even me.

No comments: