Jul 27, 2011

If You See Me Running, Call the Police



A few days on Pinterest, this was a funny little blurb I tagged. And if you know me, you'd know why: I don't exercise. As in don't.

Which is funny because two days after tagging this, I found a little something online that made me change my mind. It's called Couch to 5K. I'd heard of it before, so I emailed a link to the boy and went on with my day. You see, the boy has been exercising every morning (at 5:30 am!) for the past month or so. Every. Morning. Did you hear that? That's cray-cray! He's been encouraging me to start doing something too, but as I stated earlier, I don't exercise so I politely ignored didn't hear him. But slowly, over time, he started getting to me. Doesn't help that he's starting to look really good too. So I started thinking about it. Which brings us back to me finding the Couch to 5K website.

Now, it's hot here in the Ark. Heat indexes above 100 degrees and humidity that makes you feel like you're swimming through a sauna make going outside to do anything pretty much impossible. So John and I decided we'd start our adventure at 8 pm, once it started to cool down to a horrible breezy 90 degrees. Ahhh, love it.

So that's what we did. Now the first week, you're supposed to start off with a brisk 5 minute workout (what is brisk, though, really? John and I had to discuss how quickly brisk was. Surprisingly my interpretation was much quicker than his. What do you think?). After that, you are supposed to alternate between running for 60 seconds and walking for 90. Then running for 60. Then walking for 90. I think you can imagine it: we looked crazy.

It started off fine and dandy with the brisk-walk-interpretation. The first two little spurts of jogging were fine too. I looked marvelous, of course, with my gorgeous hair falling softly behind me and my skin-tight running leggings that made me look like a pro.


Yeah, I wish. It looked a little more like this:


Only minus the awesome bod and runners uniform. And substitute John for the asian friends. 

Okay I hear what you're saying: Enough with the badly photoshopped images! The bottom line is I did it. John cheered me on and I did the entire workout just like I was supposed to. Well, maybe with one or two 2 minute breaks in between instead of 90 seconds. And with a little more complaining than a normal person would succumb to. Whatever, same difference

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. For the rest of the day, expect to find me being sore at work. Yay. 

Have a good Wednesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud! Ellie and I have been running before work 3-4 times a week. It makes me feel awesome, but also a little tired...

Kati said...

Thanks Nat! I definitely hurt....